Do you know that you will look even prettier if you know how to choose the types of earrings that fit your face shape? Or put it in another way, how to choose the earrings that fit the shape of your face? Firstly, you need to understand your face shape. Then, simply follow the guidance in below to find your best friend earring type for life!
To identify the type of your face shape, you can stand in front of a mirror with your hair tied up and trace the edge of your face with a lipstick (without including your ears).
There are 6 MAJOR FACE SHAPES:
Square, Round, Oval, Heart, Diamond & Long
Here are the TIPS to guide you in selecting your perfect earrings:
1. Square Face
- Your forehead is straight along your hairline
- The width of your forehead and jawline are noticeably similar
- Your chin is square or flat
- Hoop earrings
- Drop / long earrings with round dangle
- Round or oval shaped earrings
The above types of earrings can help balance out the angles on your face. Stay away from square studs or any kind of earrings with a square or sharp angle which would enhance the squareness.
2. Round Face
- Your face is circular. The length from the tip of your nose to all sides of your face are about the same, with the widest at your cheekbones.
- You have a round chin line.
- Drop / dangle earrings
- Long earrings
The above types of earrings can help elongating the face shape and bring balance to it. Avoid large circular earrings, hoops and button studs which emphasize the roundness. Also, drop earrings with a dangling round disc would also exaggerate the roundness of your face.
3. Oval Face
- Your forehead may be slightly wider than your chin
- You have a well-rounded jawline to chin
- Overall face shape is like an oval / egg
- Stud earrings
- Earrings of different shapes (round, rectangular, triangle, asymmetrical, etc.)
- Drop / dangle earrings
- Exaggerated or minimalist
You are the luckiest if you have an oval-shaped face, because you can carry almost all kinds of earrings! Try out different styles and enjoy your earrings show!
4. Heart Face
- Your forehead is wider than your cheeks and the lower half of your face narrows like a heart shape
- You have a more pointed chin
- Dangle / long earrings that are more rounded at the bottom, which help to reduce the angles around your chin and makes it looks more rounded.
- Teardrop earrings
You need to counterbalance your sharp chin with earrings that are wider at the bottom than the top. This helps filling in the lower portion of your face and attaining an overall balance of your face.
5. Diamond Face
- Your cheekbone is wider than your forehead
- Your cheekbone is wider than your chin
- Stud earrings of different shapes
- Long earrings that stop just above the chin
- Dangle earrings with soft, curvaceous designs to cut back on the edges of your face.
You should avoid diamond shaped earrings. They fail to harmonize with your facial features and would overemphasize your cheekbone.
6. Long Face
- You have a long, narrow face
- Hoop earrings (best with medium to large size)
- Short dangle earrings with a rounded bottom
- Round shaped or curved earrings
You need the round, circular, curved elements in your earrings to balance your face shape and make it look fuller. Avoid wearing very slim and super long earrings which would emphasize the length of the face.
1. Choose the types of earrings that match your bone structure
If you have small, fine bone structure, you would look best with thin, fine and delicated earrings. Imagine someone with small, fine bone structure (such as Natalie Portman) wearing big, bulky earrings. It turns out that the earrings would look too heavy for the person to carry.
Following the same logic, if you have medium bone structure, earrings with medium size and weight would suit you the best.
And if you have large bone structure, you would be able to carry large, heavy, chunky earrings.
2. Choose the earrings that match your skin tone
If you have warm undertones in your skin (yellow, peach or honey), you would look best wearing golden earrings. If you have a darker skin tone, you may look even better in 18k gold color (brighter and richer yellow) rather than 14k gold color, though both would be suitable for you.
If you have pink or blue undertones in your skin, 14k gold color tone or silver would be a great choice for you. All the earrings from Kategory Jewelry are made of solid 925 sterling silver, both silver and 14k gold plated silver are available. The golden earrings are made with real gold plating. They are not only suitable for your skin tone, but also hypoallergenic inside out.
Hope you enjoy the reading! What are your thoughts / experience / ideas about choosing earrings? Please feel free to comment below and I look forward to hearing from you!